• THE BIG LEAD knows which players hit one out of the park, as they list their lineup of the hottest baseball wives & girlfriends:
• Well, that didn’t take long: ARMCHAIR GM finds Terrell Owens dissing his own quarterback again.
• DIE HARD STEEL reports Bill Cowher won’t be coaching again - at least while his daughter’s in high school.
• BUGS AND CRANKS hopes to tempt Roger Clemens’ palate with a little Yankee Squirrel Roast:
• THROWING SMOKE makes a run for the border, as the son of New York Islanders coach Ted Nolan was refused entry back into Canada.
• THE FIRE PIT feels as cool as the other side of the pillow in declaring their love for SportsCenter catchphrases.
WILL HBO ASK ISLANDERS’ NOLAN ABOUT HASEK CUCKOLD? Tonight HBO updates an old piece on current New York Islanders Coach Ted Nolan.
The original piece focused on Nolan getting fired by the Buffalo Sabres after the 1997 season, despite leading “a young team of overachievers to the top of their division after only two years at the helm.”
Nolan has long maintained that he was blackballed from the NHL after his Sabres stint because of racism.But a CBC report has a differing account of why Nolan was canned: “Rumours surfaced that Nolan was drunk at practices and that he was having affairs with players’ wives. Nolan denied all of this and dismissed it as racist taunts.”
The final straw in Buffalo was when, “Buffalo Sabres star goalie, Dominik Hasek … told a local radio show he did not respect his coach.“Translation: Nolan was sleeping with Hasek’s wife.
That also probably explains one of the (unmentioned) reasons why Don Cherry also refutes Nolan’s racism claims.
It will be interesting to see if HBO and/or Deford broaches the subject, since Nolan’s alleged ultimate betrayal of Hasek has long been one of the biggest open secrets in the NHL.