We already showed you Sarah Palin’s adventures in sports broadcasting, but the self proclaimed “Hockey Mom” has many more ties to sports. We use the term “sport” loosely here, but it’s interesting to note that she is a lifelong runner and hunter.
For years, her and her husband fed the family with whatever they could grow at home or kill in the Alaskan wilderness. Husband Todd also happens to be a four-time winner of the “World’s Longest Snowmobile Race“. Read more…
We told you it was cold in Wisconsin last weekend - so cold it turns out, that an Iowa runner is about to lose some body parts.
The ASSOCIATED PRESS has the chilling news that 27-year-old Andrew Wells fell victim to frostbite during a day-long run in the Frozen Otter Ultra Trek. As a result, he’ll have to have some appendages amputated.
Despite temperatures dipping to 15 below zero, Andrew was the only runner to reach the 40-mile checkpoint. In fact, he got turned around and ended up back at the starting line - spending almost 17 hours outside in freezing conditions. Sadly, his icy victory came at a price.
• AWFUL ANNOUNCING shines the Broadway spotlight on Digger Phelps, master thespian:
• Neil Best of NEW YORK NEWSDAY tries to talk shop with DEADSPIN guru Will Leitch.• Edward McClellan of SALON runs down how marathons are being ruined by amateurs.
• The RIVERSIDE PRESS-ENTERPRISE takes some reps with the next USC QB superstar - former Arkansas Razorbacks starter Mitch Mustain:
• 100% INJURY RATE feels the recent Bonds flap is just one more example of why the Bay Area is in sports hell.• FAN IQ swears they heard South Park characters say that Broncos QB Jay Cutler sucks.
• WE ARE SEC gets all gussied up for the upcoming Arizona State & USC fashion show - all for the benefit of the Matt Leinart Foundation:
• THE BRAVES SHOW feels the brotherly love, as Scott Rolen may come back to Philadelphia.• YOU BEEN BLINDED faces up to the mangling menace of Chinese chin straps.
• To celebrate their #1 ranking, BIG TEN TAILGATE advises LSU fans to drink up. And this woman certainly does:
• ESPN SOCCERNET kicks over news that England’s Sports Minister is concerned about the number of foreigners on British soccer teams.• COLLEGE NEWS is not shaking in their boots at these unintimidating school mascots.
Tags: Arkansas Razorbacks
, Barry Bonds
, Digger Phelps
, Jay Cutler
, Lsu Tigers
, Matt Leinart
, Mitch Mustain
, Philadelphia Phillies
, San Francisco
, Scott Rolen
, South Park
, Usc Trojans
, Will Leitch
KENYAN RUNNERS IN TRAINING GETTING GIRLS PREGNANT: Joggers in Kenya are running into trouble with local girls:
The EAST AFRICAN STANDARD reports about runners coming to the North Rift area of the country for training, only for them to get frisky with the local young female populace.The article claims how some of these “quacks” pose as legitimate athletes to the girls, and “enticing” them with money or presents in return for some “companionship”. As a result, cases of the young girls getting pregnant and dropping out of school has risen in the surrounding towns.
Parents and citizens are demanding that the country’s athletic agency do something about the risque runners. But a local official puts the blame of the unexpected births back on Mom & Dad:”It is the parents who have abandoned their responsibilities. A responsible parent should take care of his children and ensure they grow up with dignity.”
Best of all was his reason why such girls have fallen into pregnant predicaments: “Most parents were engaged in brewing and consumption of illicit brews, hence, do not have time for their children.”
MARATHON RUNNERS SCALPING SPOTS FOR FUN & PROFIT: Some runners for an upcoming race are hoping to cash in on their selective spots:
The HOUSTON CHRONICLE jogs in with news that signees for the Houston Marathon have been auctioning off their registrations to the highest bidders.The January race had 17,000 spaces available for official entry, but the spots sold out quickly by September. Now desperate long-distancers have been willing to pay up to $500 for a chance to hoof it in Houston.
Sole-less scalpers have been going to sites like eBay and Craigslist to offer up their numbered bibs, hoping to snag a hefty sum in return.Houston has become a popular destination for the running set. Race organizers say the Marathon has already helped sell out nine hotels in preparation for the event.
But we wonder why a city with a well-known air pollution problem would be such a hit with heavy breathers. Maybe the racers get high on the fumes.Then again, this is the same crowd that’s willing to pay over $200 for the chance to run 26 miles straight.