How bad must things be going when your team has the second-highest payroll in Major League Baseball, but is five games below .500, totally out of playoff contention, and that’s not the bad part?
(”Are you thinking what I’m thinking, Tony?” “Sure, Omar, but where am I going to find a used Panzer tank in Queens this late?”)
Moreover, how bad must things be going when your VP of Player Development, Tony Bernazard, is fired in the middle of the season for tyrannical, shirtless rants against players in the major and minor leagues… and that’s not the bad part either?
Welcome to The Season of Pain, starring the 2009 New York Mets.
• Move over, Jeff Reed & Vince Young - DEADSPIN finds another shirtless stud that likes to party with his top off: NBA old-timer Charles Oakley.
• The WINSTON SALEM (NC) JOURNAL tries to take the sting out of Kobe Bryant’s so-called shunning of the Charlotte Hornets.
• THE BIZ OF BASEBALL hungers at the news that the new Yankee Stadium will include a Hard Rock Cafe.
• MERRY ATHEIST wants to keep the deity off the diamond, as they don’t believe “God Bless America” should be sung at ballparks anymore.
• AARON GLEEMAN (by way of BIG LEAGUE STEW) gets wind of a vintage photo featuring Bert Blyleven letting out his secret joy:
Maybe Bert should get together with C.C. Sabathia.
• IPIKO via BOBCATS BASELINE drives up pics of the coolest car in Charlotte - a Bobcats-inspired Crown Victoria.
• CBS 4 in Denver finds Barack Obama taking on the press - in a game of pickup basketball.
• WITH LEATHER is getting sleeeeeepy, as a shotputter hopes to finally get gold through hypnosis.
Tags: Andruw Jones
, Atlanta Braves
, Barack Obama
, Bert Blyleven
, Bert Blyleven Loves Farting
, Gustavo Kuerten
, Hypnotized Shotputters
, Los Angeles Dodgers
, New York Mets
, Omar Minaya
, Willie Randolph