• Jay Glazer will not be bullied by the Boys from Bristol. In fact, the Fox Sports reporter declares, “I wouldn’t mind punching one of these guys!”
• Wonder if Don Ohlmeyer will mention this in his next ESPN ombudsman column.
• The Knicks’ Nate Robinson Tweets about his recent arrest as it happens!
• For finally signing Stephen Strasburg, the Nationals show their gratitude toward interim GM Mike Rizzo by giving him his walking papers.
• Who would you rather name your new high school after - Alonzo Mourning or Janet Reno?
Tags: Alonzo Mourning
, Andrea Mcnulty
, Ben Roethlisberger
, Don Olhmeyer
, Fargo Moorhead Redhawks
, Florida Gators
, Janet Reno
, Jay Glazer
, Mike Rizzo
, Nate Robinson
, NBA Dancers
, New York Knicks
, Phoenix Suns
, Washington Nationals
, Winnpieg Goldeyes
Pity the work of an interim. They usually step into their jobs in moments of extreme duress - like when an executive leaves amid poor performance and/or misbehavior, try their best to right the organization’s ship, and are then usually unceremoniously pushed aside when the organization figures out who they really wanted to replace the disgraced exec.
(Then again, perhaps he lost points for looking like the unholy lovechild of Jim Cramer and Billy Joel and Barney Frank.)
Every now and then, though, the interim performs so admirably in his job, accomplishing things above and beyond the usual triage, that it’s only right and fair to just hand him or her the job and skip the rigamarole of the search. A good example? How about Mike Rizzo, acting GM of the Washington Nationals after Jim Bowden left in shame this February. No, the Nats haven’t been good, but they fleeced the Pirates on a trade or two. More importantly, Rizzo stared down Scott Boras and brought Stephen Strasburg into the fold before the signing deadline, something that seemed so unlikely that the MASN announcers were wailing in dismay at the prospect of Strasburg sitting out.