Got into New York City Saturday night, just missing the MLB-sponsored Bon Jovi show in Central Park. The real count for the show from The Great Lawn was about 50,000. And a source tells me that putting on the show cost MLB $8 million, with none of it going to Bon Jovi himself! So why was MLB VP Bob Watson on trash detail the next morning? (OK, we made up the last part.)
(The Great Lawn was the only green this man seen Saturday night)
I’ve also heard that Monsieur Jovi, despite his AFL Philly Soul making Arena Bowl, is still hoping to sell the team in short order.
Sunday I spent most of the day shooting a new SbB Girl in Central Park - in insufferable 90 degree heat. I then had the good sense to follow that up by ingesting what seemed like a metric ton of prime rib at Ben Bensons steakhouse. Read more…
NOW’S KILBORN’S CHANCE TO SLINK BACK INTO BUILDING: The LOS ANGELES TIMES reports today that ESPN will be moving into a five story building in downtown Los Angeles in 2009. An obligatory ESPN Zone will pollute the area (across from Staples Center) on the first two floors, and there will be broadcast facilities above that.
ESPN plans to host the late SportsCenters from L.A., along with pizza delivery until 3 a.m. to surrounding sports fans. (Ok, we made the pizza thing up, but it would be cool to have Scott Van Pelt deliver some extra Papa John’s garlic sauce.)Now the question is, who gets to escape Bristol for the smoggy, crimed climes of downtown Los Angeles? ESPN’s George Bodenheimer said, “We’ll be moving some of our highest-potential folks out here.”
In other words, pretty much anyone single and under the age of 40 will be going west.
Bodenheimer also reports that because of the move to SoCal, there will be many more opportunities for ESPN original entertainment productions. So that already has us lighting candles for a “Tilt 2″:
We’re also holding out hope for a reprise of Mario Lopez’s critically-acclaimed “ESPN Hollywood“!
WOMAN BEHIND OSCAR PICS REVEALED; CLAIMS NO SEX!: Thanks to England’s NEWS OF THE WORLD, we now have the name of the woman responsible for the Oscar De la Hoya cross-dressing photos: Milana Dravnel.
The Russian topless dancer who now claims to be a model, tells the UK tabloid that she met De la Hoya at a strip club in New York last year (Scores) and that “She and three of her pals met him in a series of hotels, on his PRIVATE JET and at his Palm Springs HOME.”
She revealed a few of De la Hoya’s fetishes, which included: “He once asked all the girls to dress as men so he could play the role of the only woman in the group. The dad-of-four then sat on a chair behind one of them and pretended it was a MOTORBIKE.“Milana laughs: “He was acting like a girl on the back, grabbing her round the waist screaming ‘Faster! Faster!’.”
Is there anything more unbelievable than that? Actually yes. Dravnel claims that the two never had sex.
Meanwhile, the NEW YORK POST reports De La Hoya pal Mario Lopez said the boxer was “laughing it all off.” Lopez: “He wasn’t upset. He was sort of laughing … He’s really not sweating it.”
If that’s true, why did De la Hoya’s reps rush out a memo to the media last week that the photos were fake?
UPDATE: Dravnel is now backtracking on the photos, sort of.