Things are finally looking up for Kyle Kendrick. You may remember the Phillies pitcher as the victim of a team-wide prank where he was told he was being traded to Japan. And also you might recall how Kendrick admitted to being a big Backstreet Boys fan. Well, it’s all turning around for Kyle now, buddy boy!
Okay, so Kendrick is currently stuck in Triple-A, pitching for the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. But he only gave up five hits in his last start last Thursday in a win against the Rochester Red Wings. But more importantly, Kyle’s about to become an honest man, as he’s getting ready to marry ex-”Survivor” contestant Stephenie La Grossa.
For professional sports players, having a personal blog is a dicey gamble. While they provide the much-needed service of allowing sports fans a glimpse - and sometimes more - into their personal lives, it also comes with the built-in stipulation that you’re willingly giving fans of opposing teams’ more material to heckle you with. Case in point: It has now been confirmed that Kyle Kendrick loves the Backstreet Boys. Run with it, Rays fans!
Writing on his “personal diary” for the series over at PHILLYBURBS.COM - not being on the World Series roster gives him a decent amount of free time - Kendrick spends an inordinate amount of time (i.e. any at all) getting excited over the fact that the Boys from Backstreet were in attendance to sing the national anthem.
• THE FIGHTINS’ find the Phillies cornering the market on dating ex-Survivor contestants. The latest coupling: Kyle Kendrick & Stephenie LaGrossa.
• HOME RUN DERBY spots dinosaurs running amok at U.S. Cellular Field, and they don’t mean Ken Griffey Jr.
• DEADSPIN swears that ESPN should stay away from doing live TV commercials.
• Dan Steinberg’s BEIJING SPORTS SMOG has the poop on the strange recycling rules in the Olympic media restrooms.
Tags: Beijing Olympics
, Brett Favre
, Brock Lesnar
, Chicago White Sox
, Kyle Kendrick
, Lloyd Carr
, New York Jets
, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
, Philadelphia Phillies
, Stephanie Lagrossa
• Tom Hoffarth of FARTHER OFF THE WALL is sad to see the passing of legendary NFL broadcaster Charlie Jones.
• DEADSPIN punches up rumors that Mike Tyson had ordered a hit on the guy who killed his bodyguard.
• MR. IRRELEVANT informs us that Jamie Mottram is leaving “Blog Show“. Well, once you’ve had Erin Andrews, what else is there?
• WHO ATE ALL THE PIES finds this year’s Pulitzer winner: A German Euro 2008 reporter running late for his flight decides to call in a bomb threat.
Hello, kids. This is Richard McPlenty, and I’m here to take you through another lazy Sunday. What better way to kick things off than with a little bit of mischief at the expense of young Phillies pitcher Kyle Kendrick.
G.M. Ruben Amaro Jr. was in on it. Manager Charlie Manuel was in on it. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if Anna Benson was in on it. She seems to be up for just about anything.
And it worked. They convinced Hendrick he had been traded to Japan. Cruel, and unusually funny. Read more…