Recall, if you will, that the major off-season move in the NFL was undoubtedly the Bears sending Kyle Orton and a truckload of picks to Denver for “disgrunted” Jay Cutler. The general consensus was that it was a fine move by Chicago, but that they overpaid - badly - for Cutler.
(Orton, during a rare moment of not giving the ball to the Niners. It would soon pass.)
But less was made of the effect the move made on Denver, who was basically compensated three high picks for having to substitute Orton in for Cutler. How’s that going to work for the Broncos? Well, if last night’s game is any indication, it’s going to be a long season.
Apparently a gator bites harder than a bulldog. Police say a couple in Neptune Beach (you were expecting anywhere other than northern Florida) got into a fight during Florida’s blowout of Georgia on Saturday. When he got his bags and tried to leave, she did what any self-respecting UF fan would: she bit him. Not gave him the tired old Gator Chomp gesture, but actually bit him. On the freaking thigh.
Veronica Hairston, pictured above with either a bruise or a Gators sticker under her eye (neither would surprise me), then allegedly punched her husband several times and fled from the Days Inn where they were staying. Come for the world’s largest cocktail party! Stay for the world’s funniest domestic abuse! Read more…
Teams that were supposed to win won, and players that were supposed to perform performed, as the day’s early games seemed just an appetizer for the big OSU-Michigan and Texas-Mizzou tilts.
(The closest Vandy came to stopping Moreno all day).
As Knowshon Moreno goes, so goes the Georgia Bulldogs. Vanderbilt found that out the hard way, falling to UGA 24-14 in the early slate’s only matchup of ranked teams. Moreno trampled the Commdores for a season-high 172 yards, touching the ball on more than a third of Georgia’s snaps. Freshman AJ Green, who is becoming one of Matthew Stafford’s favorite targets, had 132 yards and a touchdown.
Tags: Aj Green
, Chris Turner
, Darrius Heyward Bey
, Georgia Bulldogs
, Graham Harrell
, Knowshon Moreno
, Maryland Terrapins
, Matthew Stafford
, Matt Grothe
, South Florida Bulls
, Syracuse Orange
, Texas A&m Aggies
, Texas Tech Red Raiders
, Vanderbilt Commodores
, Wake Forest Demon Deacons
• Brett Edwards of AOL FANHOUSE gets chills watching Saturday night’s cold & windy Suns-Nuggets outdoor NBA game.
• REAR NAKED NEWS punches up a clip of Rampage Jackson’s big screen debut - heading straight to a DVD near you.
• WALKOFF WALK finds L.A. columnists T.J. Simers and Bill Plaschke taking alternate routes in directing their anger at the Dodgers’ NLCS woes.
• LARRY BROWN SPORTS hikes up Tennessee’s only good highlight from their weekend loss to Georgia - the Vols’ Eric Berry flattening Bulldogs RB Knowshon Moreno.
Tags: Auburn Tigers
, Dan Orlovsky
, Detroit Lions
, Georgia Bulldogs
, Knowshon Moreno
, Los Angeles Dodgers
, Nba Outdoors
, Phillip Fulmer
, Rampage Jackson
, Stanford Cardinal
, Tennessee Volunteers
, Tommy Tuberville
, World Cup
• BUSTED COVERAGE informs us that Ashley Russell, previously known as the ravishing reporter for Rivals.com, has found a network TV job.
Sure, it’s just the Big Ten Network, but everyone has to start somewhere.
• WITH LEATHER breaks down Billy Wagner breaking down at a press conference, as the Mets pitcher is asked about possible retirement.
• LARRY BROWN SPORTS realizes that Georgia RB Knowshon Moreno likes to get high during games - with big leaps over would-be tacklers.
• With Tom Brady on the shelf, FOOD COURT LUNCH suggests the Patriots give Drew Bledsoe a call - before he calls them.