Like a lot of people, we got pretty excited when we saw quotes from former bodybuilder Jay McGwire, and heard whispers about the possibility of a tell-all book. After all, who wouldn’t be excited about a tome from a man who looks like a dead-ringer for the Gold’s Gym logo? It never hurt that there were quotes about his brother Mark’s steroid use in there, which sure seemed to make the book a ready-packaged winner at Barnes & Nobles. Well, evidently we were in the minority, because all the publishers who have seen Jay McGwire’s 58-page proposal have passed on it … rapidly.
(What we didn’t know: Big Mac was drinking the clear in this ad.)
In a story printed in today’s NEW YORK TIMES, executive editors, publishers and presidents of HarperCollins, Gotham Books and Penguin Group USA (via Gotham), all said they had serious doubts about the younger McGwire’s claims … and that even if they didn’t, they wondered if the concept would sell anyway:
• Remember Quinton Jackson’s little vehicular Rampage on Tuesday? Well, CAGE TODAY catches someone on Craigslist trying to sell pieces of the UFC fighter’s shredded tires.
• HUGGING HAROLD REYNOLDS keeps it rocking in their interview with MLB hurler-turned-punk band troubador Scott Radinsky.
• Besides HGH shipping receipts for Roger Clemens, FOOD COURT LUNCH investigates what else Kirk Radomski found underneath his broken TV set.
• RED SOX MONSTER learns that even the ASSOCIATED PRESS isn’t giving Dan Uggla a break from his “uggly”All-Star performance.
• Reggie Bush wants to help gal pal Kim Kardashian cut a few calories.
Well, bumping ‘n’ grinding is one way to do it.
• Quinton Jackson went on a little Rampage through the streets of SoCal.
• We were so close to seeing J.D. Drew pitch in the All-Star Game.
• Kirk Radomski delivers more bad news for Roger Clemens.
• Tigers reliever Todd Jones wouldn’t mind some love for his lip hair.
Tags: Ashley Harkleroad
, Barricading Parents
, Bobby Mercer
, J.d. Drew
, Kim Kardashian
, Kirk Radomski
, Manchester City
, Paul Hornung
, Rampage Jackson
, Reggie Bush
, Roger Clemens
, Todd Jones
In the latest chapter of “As The Rocket Implodes”, we turn to the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, whose investigative team has never met an accused user it didn’t like to take chunks out of. Now, it appears that Kirk Radomski, as part of his plea deal with the federal government, is squealing about his alleged dealings with Roger Clemens.
The report cites sources saying Radomski found shipping receipts for shipments of HGH sent to Clemens’ Texas home, in the care of Brian McNamee.
A bit confused by the whole Mitchell Report? Finding it hard to comb through all 409 pages in one sitting? Well, the fine folks at SLATE have injected a little orderly organization into the pumped-up mess:
Thanks to the SocialAction software tool, Adam Perer & Chris Wilson have come up with this steroids social network chart - explaining the connections between various players & trainers in the whole sordid anabolic affair.
Wonder how Roger Clemens could be caught up with Paul Lo Duca? Or how Chuck Knoblauch can be tangled with Miguel Tejada? It’s all here. Just roll over the names to see what these guys have been up to.
It’s hours of interactive fun! Or at least 10 minutes during your next coffee break.