• Jay Glazer will not be bullied by the Boys from Bristol. In fact, the Fox Sports reporter declares, “I wouldn’t mind punching one of these guys!”
• Wonder if Don Ohlmeyer will mention this in his next ESPN ombudsman column.
• The Knicks’ Nate Robinson Tweets about his recent arrest as it happens!
• For finally signing Stephen Strasburg, the Nationals show their gratitude toward interim GM Mike Rizzo by giving him his walking papers.
• Who would you rather name your new high school after - Alonzo Mourning or Janet Reno?
Tags: Alonzo Mourning
, Andrea Mcnulty
, Ben Roethlisberger
, Don Olhmeyer
, Fargo Moorhead Redhawks
, Florida Gators
, Janet Reno
, Jay Glazer
, Mike Rizzo
, Nate Robinson
, NBA Dancers
, New York Knicks
, Phoenix Suns
, Washington Nationals
, Winnpieg Goldeyes
Alonzo Mourning had a long and distinguished career as a basketball player, it’s true. He was a 7-time All-Star, an NBA champion, and has an Olympic gold medal. He’s good. But in our minds there will always be two and only two things that we think of when someone says the name Alonzo Mourning: The fact he played basketball after getting a new kidney (that takes some guts), and, well, this:
Between those two things, he’s always seemed like more of a caricature than a living, breathing basketball-playing human being. It’s not that we don’t take him seriously as a player, it’s just … well, those are the things that come to mind. So hearing that Miami-Dade County, Florida is planning on naming a freakin’ high school after the guy came, as you might imagine, as a slight surprise. Especially when it’s coming at the expense of the nation’s first female Attorney General, Janet Reno.
SAFE TO SAY BUD COLLINS IS PISSED OFF THIS MORNING: The WALL STREET JOURNAL reports “Martina Navratilova has agreed to an endorsement deal with the AARP to serve as its first Health & Fitness ambassador.”
AARP Chief Brand Officer Emilio Pardo said that Navratilova’s job will be to “share tips with AARP members in online chats, conduct Q&As and video segments on the group’s Web site, and speak at events.”
So Martina is the new spokesman the AARP? That’s gotta really sting for Janet Reno’s marketing agent. And we would’ve thought a deal with MWLLOL would’ve been next served up on her endorsment plate (ok, we promise to never link it again, but have you SEEN Joe Piscopo lately?).