• RIZZO SPORTS BLOG passes along news that U.S. women’s soccer goalie Hope Solo can get some redemption in Thursday’s Olympic gold medal match against Brazil.
• LARRY BROWN SPORTS bets you’ll enjoy Pete Rose’s recent radio quips about Tony Gwynn & Marge Schott.
• YOU BEEN BLINDED learns that Tiger Woods can really walk on water. Hallelujah!
• HUGGING HAROLD REYNOLDS discovers that the Phillies’ Gay Community Night was held on the same evening as $1 wiener night.
Tags: Argentina Soccer
, Ballpark Trips
, Beijing Olympics
, Bernie Mac
, Donovan Mcnabb
, Hope Solo
, Marge Schott
, Pete Rose
, Philadelphia Phillies
, Tiger Woods
, Tony Gwynn
, Wrigley Field
Even though the Opening Ceremonies aren’t until Friday, the 2008 Beijing Olympics officially got under way Wednesday with some exciting girl-on-girl action. That’s right - as Heather Mitts earlier alerted us, the women’s soccer competition kicked off today. And the U.S. squad started things off by getting kicked around by Norway.
The Norwegians surprised the Americans, 2-0, in what USA TODAY writer Beau Dure described as a “sultry Wednesday night”.
Let’s let Beau tell us what happened - in very descriptive detail:
Looks like Kobe & Vanessa and Tony & Jess share the same travel agent.
• Stranded on a ledge in the middle of the Alps? Sports bras to the rescue!
• Adam “Don’t Call Me Pacman” Jones is praying for Don Imus.
• An Alabama teacher gets to first base, second base, third base & home with some high school baseball players.
• D-U-I! D-U-I! Carmelo Anthony gets a 2-game suspension.
• The U.S. Olympic women’s soccer team has regained Hope while sending Brianna Scurry-ing away.
Tags: Brianna Scurry
, Carmelo Anthony
, Chicago Cubs
, Don Imus
, Hope Solo
, Jessica Simpson
, Kim Couture
, Kobe Bryant
, Michael Olowokandi
, Pacman Jones
, Sports Bras
, Tony Romo
, Ucf Golden Knights
, Vanessa Bryant
We cannot let this slip by into the blogging net behind us: Hope Solo has vanquished Brianna Scurry, taking her spot on the U.S. Olympic Women’s Soccer team. All involved will only say that there are two goaltenders headed to the games not named Scurry and that Scurry accepted the rejection “professionally”.
New coach Pia Sundhage had little choice; Solo is the better ‘keeper, but holding Scurry on would have left a looming presence over Solo on every save attempt. However, Solo will now have to deal with being the unintentional Scurry-killer. Consider that her teammates wouldn’t even let her eat with them after her critical comments about Scurry in 2007.