TULSA FUMING OVER RICE’S HELL OF A HALFTIME SHOW: Tulsa wasn’t so entertained by the Rice University band’s halftime show “honoring” their football coach.
The HOUSTON CHRONICLE reports that the school has filed a complaint with Conference USA over last Saturday’s performance by the Marching Owl Band.The MOB paid tribute to the Golden Hurricane coach in a halftime skit called “Todd Graham’s Inferno“. As this handy script explains, the band chronicles their journey into Hell, where they find Graham on the last level, next to the words, “Welcome to Tulsa”.
But the biggest complaint was about the show’s finale, when the narrator ended the story by calling Graham a “douchebag”.Why all the terrible tirades toward Todd and Tulsa? Last year, Graham was on the sidelines as Rice’s head coach. But he bolted for northeast Oklahoma in the off-season - a flight that ruffled the feathers of many Owls fans.
Saturday’s show isn’t the first time the band has mocked their opponents. Back in September, the MOB made fun of Texas players’ criminal issues - during halftime on the Longhorns’ own field.But before being battered by angry Austin attendees, the MOB made a crack at rival Texas A&M and their mascot’s memorable munching episode, announcing that Reveille’s training “would no longer be outsourced to Michael Vick.”
EAGLES OUT; TOM PETTY TO PLAY SUPER BOWL HALFTIME: Last month we reported there was a 90% chance that the Eagles would be the headliner at next year’s Super Bowl in Glendale, AZ. Well much like our most recent visit to the tables in Laughlin, the 10% came through - and the Eagles are out.
We have since learned that Tom Petty will headline the Super Bowl halftime show. The deal is officially done. Much like our visits to Nevada for the next calendar year.
• MR. SUNSHINE saves it for later, as Dan Patrick’s radio show will be broadcast in many markets on tape-delay:
• ALLBALLS takes a break, as they enjoy these amusing halftime spectacles.• WIZZNUTZZ via DEADSPIN knows a chicken box signed by Manute Bol & Spud Webb has to be finger lickin’ good.
• JEN’S FREE THROWS teases us with a first look at Venus Williams’ new ‘do:
• WAGGLE ROOM checks their report card, as teen golf sensation Tadd Fujikawa is letting his grades slip a bit.• PART MULE knows the Celtics are so good, Doc Rivers doesn’t even need to coach them.
• MONDESI’S HOUSE digs up a classic photo of a collegiate Dan Marino and his Pitt hitmen:
• LARRY BROWN SPORTS checks their wallet, as it now costs a family of four nearly $500 to attend one Lakers game.• And if you decide not to head to Staples Center, you can always use that cash to buy the most expensive video games made.
• He can bring his own makeup: RIVALFISH scores news that Dennis Rodman wants to be a WNBA coach:
The Worm should be able to provide proper motivation to his players.• CONSTRUDA discovers Tim Hardaway trying to make amends for his earlier anti-gay remarks.
• THE BOTTOM LINE hates Notre Dame, but even they aren’t having fun anymore with the suck of the Irish.
Tags: Boston Celtics
, Dan Marino
, Dan Patrick
, Dennis Rodman
, Doc Rivers
, Halftime Shows
, Los Angeles Lakers
, Manute Bol
, Spud Webb
, Tadd Fujikawa
, Venus Williams