• Bear down, Chicago fans - Jay Cutler is coming to town! (Bye, Kyle.)
There’s no looking back on not wanting to be traded, Jay.
• UFC president Dana White sure knows how to deal with the press.
• San Francisco’s daily newspaper makes big cuts in its sports staff.
• Gary Carter just wants to be back in the Mets family again.
• This is some kind of Utah Jazz fan - if we only knew what kind.
Tags: 1410 Foot Hole
, Bruce Pearl
, Chicago Bears
, Dana White
, Denver Broncos
, Derek Jeter
, Gary Carter
, Jay Cutler
, Memphis Tigers
, New York Yankees
, San Francisco Chronicle
, Stabbing Basketballs
, Utah Jazz
, Wisconsin Badgers
Gary Carter, Expo Hall-of-Famer and world champion Metropolitan, misses the Mets organization so much that he can’t stop asking for a job there, usually while someone else holds the position. He also can’t stop quacking on the topic of the day, which is why he’s the manager of the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League.
Heck, Mets fans, he’ll even volunteer to catch a baseball thrown by another ex-baseball player in a ceremonial fashion if you’d just let him. For free! He’s a giver. So why didn’t the Mets invite him to do so when they closed Shea or schedule him to open Citi Field? That’s all Gary Carter wants to know.
If the Philadelphia Phillies needed any extra motivation going into their three-game series against the New York Mets this weekend with the NL East lead on the line, they found it in Mike Schmidt. And it’s not just from the power of his luxurious mustache: he wrote the team an e-mail telling them that “the Mets know you’re better than they are.”
The results? So far, the Mets haven’t done anything to prove him wrong. They dropped the first game of the series 3-0 on Friday night, letting the Phillies pull to within two games of the division lead. Today’s game has been postponed because of Tropical Storm Hanna, leading to a huge doubleheader tomorrow.
Brandi Chastian’s bra brouhaha has nothing on this Brazilian soccer babe.
• Hot on the heels of Ashley Harkleroad’s announcement, we uncover the naked truth on how often athletes have bared all for Playboy.
• Upper Deck wants to condition us into buying these hair-filled cards. Next, special-edition SbB sets featuring freshly-shorn follicles from Brooks.
• How cool is Rick Sutcliffe? Not only can he kick cancer’s ass, but he’ll steal a base just to win Bill Murray some beer.
• Kobe explains how he jumps over snakes, while Mrs. Bryant jumps all over an ESPN writer.
• The Yankees want to pull the plug on an All-Star promotion that might feature David Ortiz. Well, we should’ve know there was Red Sox trouble at the Stadium had we seen the warning signs.
Tags: Athletes In Playboy
, Boston Red Sox
, David Ortiz
, Gabrielle Reece
, Gary Carter
, Hair Baseball Cards
, Joakim Noah
, Jose Canseco
, Kobe Byrant
, New York Yankees
, Rick Sutcliffe
, Vanessa Bryant
, Womens Wrestling
Everyone knows that the one thing Gary Carter will never be able to do is keep his mouth closed. So no one was surprised when he came out and recently said he would be interested in the Mets job when if Willie Randolph gets the sack.
Neil Best of NEWSDAY is there to report on Carter’s first public statement to the media about wanting the job - and then gets reax from Carter after he was folded into the media-created replacement cake batter for Mets manager.
Best reports that Carter claims his open campaigning for the job was a complete media creation - and that he was just answering a question asked of him about the possible opportunity. Never mind that the Mets already had a manager when he answered the leading query. Read more…