In the annals of mainstream sports media, there is probably no more celebrated figure, especially in the face of on-field performance, than Brett Favre. Sure, he’s an automatic Hall of Famer and holds a boatload of career records that’ll stand for many years, but he’s only got one All-Pro nomination in the last five years, and his Super Bowl ring is well past a decade old. Moreover, his annual “do I come back or not?” ritual hamstrung the Packers’ front office and certainly made Aaron Rodgers‘ life uncomfortable for years before the Packers finally called bullpackers last fall.
(Brett Favre responds to criticism. Oh, we kid, we kid.)
And yet all the same, Favre’s constantly lauded by talking heads and lazy columnists; the announcers at today’s Chiefs-Jets game referred to him as “immortal” and “Sir Brett” without a hint of irony, and Peter King’s infatuation is well-documented. It’s enough to make an ordinary football fan throw up.
But Deanna Favre is no ordinary football fan, and she has had enough. Read more…
• Following in the footsteps of Tony Parker, YARDBARKER reports that the Warriors’ Baron Davis is Desperate for Housewife Teri Hatcher:
• THE SPORTS GOD feels a bit drowsy in listing the 10 Most Boring Sports Events.
• Reggie Miller’s not the only one looking for a comeback, as SPORTS ILLUSTRATED notes Penny’s back with Shaq.
• Matt Leinart’s made it to the movies after all! FAN IQ gets a good seat, as Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt takes his players to the local cinema:
Well, it’s safer than a trip to the water park. Unless you choke on the theater popcorn.
• Speaking of Leinie, DEADSPIN discovers he’s none too pleased about his Madden 08 rating.
• SPORTS COLUMN needs to re-check their feng shui, as Greg Oden gives a tour of his fancy digs.
• EPOCH TIMES gasps that Maria Sharapova advanced in the Los Angeles Open after her opponent, like many men who face her, had trouble breathing:
• PACKERS NEWS looks for their reading glasses, as Brett Favre’s wife Deanna has a book coming out in October.
• Blimey! LION IN OIL finds that a FIFA V.P. doesn’t care much for England.
• AOL FANHOUSE needs to do some beer lifts, as John Daly’s in better shape than Tiger Woods:
• THE WIZARD OF ODDS checks their wallet, as tickets for Notre Dame-Penn State are going for over $1,000.
• The HUFFINGTON POST realized that the Brooklyn Cyclones aren’t just a minor league baseball team.
Tags: Arizona Cardinals
, Baron Davis
, Brett Favre
, Brooklyn Cyclones
, Deanna Favre
, Greg Oden
, John Daly
, Maria Sharapova
, Matt Leinart
, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
, Penny Hardaway
, Penn State Nittany Lions
, Shaquille Oneal
, Teri Hatcher
, Tiger Woods
, Tony Parker