Last time I was in New York, I scored seats to the last All-Star game played at the old Yankee Stadium. Can’t really top that, can ya?
(Lineup last night in Derek Jeter’s suite at Yankee Stadium)
Actually, I think I did on Thursday, watching the Yankees-Red Sox game in the new Yankee Stadium from Derek Jeter’s personal suite. (Yes, the one he dropped $850,000 on for a single season.)
(I want to thank the Good Lord for no hot-air hand dryer)
Early this week a friend invited me to the game, which gave a good excuse to get out of L.A. for a long weekend. That weekend has barely started, but I’ve already got the only thing I’ll remember from the trip.
I hesitate to mention this after yesterday’s mini-storm involving Rush Limbaugh, but another right-wing icon is in the sports news. That would be Bill O’Reilly, who, for whatever reason, would be the perfect rap duet partner, says the one and only Ron Artest.
The news broke on Twitter, as you knew it had to. Artest wants to make sweet, killer rhymes with the Fox News pundit. Or was he being sarcastic? After all, there was a LOL at the end of it. Read more…
• Hot tempers flare at a high school playoff game, as a basketbrawl breaks out in ‘Bama.
• Sean Williams learns you can’t go home again - or the Boston College campus police will arrest you for trespassing.
• The rest of Tracy McGrady’s season with the Rockets has been aborted.
• Reason #54,762 the minors are better than the majors: Free food for the kiddies - for all the kids, all year long!
• Another sign of the struggling economy: Tickets for the ACC tournament are going to be sold to the general public for the first time in 42 years.
Tags: ACC Tournament
, Bill Oreilly
, Boston College Eagles
, Boston Red Sox
, Houston Rockes
, Kids Eat Free
, Kobe Bryant
, Los Angeles Clippers
, New Jersey Nets
, Sean Williams
, Tracy Mcgrady
, Washington Nationals
, Zach Randolph
Hey readers! Time for another thought-provoking Clever Caption Contest!
Today we present a real meeting of the minds, as left coast hoops star Kobe Bryant chats it up with right wing demagogue Bill O’Reilly:
Whatever would these mighty mental giants be discussing? Submit your suggestions into the comments section linked below. Winner will be announced in the end-of-the-day recap, with a chance at hosting their own hard-hitting, no-holds-barred Fox News program.
Good luck & good writing!
Some athletes are just so insane that what would be considered to be completely off-the charts bonkers for the average player is yawn-inducing coming from them. A perfect example: Ron Artest. Honestly, if you read an interview with him where he went into great detail about imaginary friend Harvey the Rabbit, would you surprised at all?
But his answers to a “My Profile” piece for SPORTING NEWS TODAY are gloriously loopy even by his standards. One of the highlights? When asked what was in his iPod, he gave two answers. One was “my own music,” which is predictably self-serving. But the other answer is so bizarre that if it was someone other than Ron Artest who gave it, you would be sure it was a joke: Celine Dion.
• THE WORLD OF ISAAC gets to the bottom of their choices for the 10 best backsides in beach volleyball.
• T.O.’s not the only receiver to bust his acting chops on the small screen, as MONDESI’S HOUSE tunes in to see Hines Ward guest star on a Korean TV show.
• And DEADSPIN catches fellow NFL star Matt Leinart hitting the game show circut - as the question to “Jeopardy’s” Final Answer.
• SPORTAPHILE rolls tape on a younger Bill O’Reilly approaching Chris Berman levels of off-the-air in-studio anger.