Race horses have the career trajectory of porn stars. They start off as soon as they’re legal to perform, get purchased up by sleazy old white men, are viewed by millions of people over an extremely short period of time, and then, mere years later, have become so beaten and broken by the system that they’re forced to retire to a stud farm. Well folks, it’s time to open up the breeding gates once more: Big Brown’s career is over.
The 3-year-old championship colt injured his right foot today during a workout while preparing for the upcoming Breeders’ Cup Classic, which was to be his final race before retiring. Big Brown was able to complete his six-furlough work - whatever that means - until trainer Rick Dutrow noticed all sorts of blood coming out of his foot. “It looks like he grabbed himself in a bad spot,” Dutrow said.
But the important thing is, how will this latest injury affect his stud fee?
Awhile back, we made a fabulously naïve comment about Rick Dutrow, Jr., offering a fresh and interesting (if rather braying) voice to the sports community that was entertaining and should be embraced. We’re kind of an idiot.
Dutrow can’t stop injecting himself into the news for all the wrong reasons. Now it’s because he can’t stop himself from injecting too many drugs into horses. The NEW YORK TIMES is now reporting that the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority caught him injecting too much clenbuterol into one of his horses a day before the Kentucky Derby for a stakes race.
Did Roberto Clemente profoundly predict his own untimely demise?
• Jonathan Papelbon & Manny Del Carmen sure know how to cheer up the rain-soaked faithful at Fenway Park.
• Jerry Manuel helps ease the pain of George Carlin’s passing.
• This minor league ballgirl is leaps & bounds above the rest.
• Big Brown’s big Belmont loss? Gotta be the horseshoes.
• Your next host of the Olympic Games - Birmingham, Alabama?
Tags: Big Brown
, Boston Red Sox
, Chicago Cubs
, Chicago White Sox
, Dutch Soccer Fans
, George Carlin
, Jason Isringhausen
, Jerry Manuel
, Jonathan Papelbon
, Minor League Ballgirls
, Roberto Clemente
, St Louis Cardinals
Most folks still haven’t come to grips with Big Brown’s last-place finish at the Belmont last month. The horse had a Phil Mickelson-ish collapse down the stretch that has gone completely unexplained–until now?
Extreme close-up photos of one of Brownie’s horseshoes may provide the clue for why the equine failed to perform. Read more…
Brooks is heading back to L.A., maybe snag some Game 5 seats (if necessary).
• Seems that Curt Schilling isn’t such a big fan of Kobe Bryant.
• A Laker Girl’s been caught playing for the other team - the Celtics.
• Big Brown’s trainer chooses to crap all over his jockey.
• The Tampa Bay Rays have a lot of fight in them this year - even between themselves.
• Oscar De La Hoya still has his panties in a bunch, once again claiming that his crossdressing phots are fakes.
Tags: Barack Obama
, Big Brown
, Curt Schilling
, Gilbert Arenas
, Jason Taylor
, Kobe Bryant
, Laker Girls
, Los Angeles Lakers
, Mike Breen
, New York Yankees
, Oscar De La Hoya
, Tampa Bay Rays
Big Brown had a date with destiny, but the horse showed up a little bit late.
Big Brown, who had been receiving treatment for a cracked front hoof, ran third for most of the 1.5-mile race before fading away in the last turn as jockey Kent Desormeaux eased his ride through the stretch. Da’Tara, listed at 38-1, won the day and capped an event full of anticipation that was never realized.
Hey, at least nobody was put down! Read more…
Just because their corporate logo is on Belmont’s biggest star, that doesn’t mean the Hooters Girls will be welcome in the winner’s circle.
Not in these clothes, anyway.
The NEW YORK DAILY NEWS gallops along word that the tight tank tops & short orange shorts fashioned by the restaurant’s waitresses would not be considered “proper attire” for Belmont Park. The reaction comes from Hooters’ earlier claim that the Girls will be there in full uniform ready to celebrate if Big Brown clinches the Triple Crown.
But the buxom babes aren’t banned outright - they just need to change their clothes. [And we’ll be happy to assist ;)] Read more…
• Fred Mitchell of the CHICAGO TRIBUNE fans the flames of the latest NBA trade rumors - this time, it’s Dwyane Wade going to the Bulls.
• Ryan Wilson of AOL FANHOUSE keeps the faith, as Cowboys safety Roy Williams compares himself to Jesus Christ.
• The DETROIT FREE-PRESS skates over the confession that Tiger Woods is no fan of hockey.
• But the KANSAS CITY STAR counters that George Brett loves the sport - and that he’s willing to invest into any NHL team that comes to town.
Tags: Big Brown
, Boston Celtics
, Chicago Bulls
, Detroit Red Wings
, Dwyane Wade
, George Brett
, Memphis Tigers
, New York Yankees
, Roy Williams
, Shawn Merriman
, Tampa Bay Rays
, Tiger Woods
Sasha Vujacic’s final shot gave grief to gamblers? You can bet on it!
• Don Shula wonders if new Dolphins prez Bill Parcells is so good, why does he keep changing jobs?
• Best not to block Big Brown during the Belmont, or his trainer’s gonna shoot somebody.
• A high school wrestling coach has been let go after his assistant was trying to suplex Muslim students into Christianity.
• Good to see Jenna Jameson staying in practice for her profession.
• A letter intercepted in jail may help solve the murder of Denver Bronco Darrent Williams.