It’s hard to find any pro sport that’s not suffering from these hard economic times. And that goes for Formula One racing. Lagging ticket sales means car companies are starting to withdraw racing teams, such as what Honda did in December. And such ticket-selling shortfalls are causing races in France and Canada to be canceled.
On the other hand, it’s not easy to convince some people to show up and watch cars go ’round and ’round when it can cost up to $4,000 per ticket.
• DEADSPIN snorts up news that Jaguars receiver Matt Jones was arrested in Arkansas for cocaine & marijuana possession.
Maybe he’s just preparing himself for the Jags’ potential move to L.A.
• GOTHAMIST purrs at the latest fashion accessory Mets pitchers are sporting these days - Hello Kitty backpacks.
• LARRY BROWN SPORTS finds Lance Berkman taking a swing at those who are afraid to participate in the Home Run Derby.
• THE WIZARD OF ODDS can’t wait to put up their awesome 2008 USC Trojans football poster. Not bad, but this will always be our favorite sports schedule wall decoration:
Tags: Appalachian State Mountaineers
, Ashley Judd
, Hello Kitty
, Jacksonville Jaguars
, Lance Berkman
, Matt Jones
, New York Mets
, Trent Dilfer
, Usc Trojans
, Wisconsin Badgers
, Womens Wrestling
Dario Franchitti won’t be running around NASCAR tracks anytime soon, as the racer’s ownership group is permanently parking his vehicle.
The TENNESSEAN reports that team owner Chip Ganassi has pulled over Franchitti’s #40 car from further stock car competition. The biggest problem has been finding funding for Dario, ever since Coors Light belched out of its sponsorship of the car at the end of last season. Read more…
While LeBron James was earning kudos for his All-Star skills, SCOTT VAN PELT STYLE (via ESPN) finds one ex-NBA star dodging the dunks in New Orleans for the doings at Daytona.
John Salley spent his All-Star Weekend down in Florida, covering the 500 for Fox Sports’ “Best Damn Sports Show Period”. And it sounds like he’s happier at the racetrack than he would be hanging in the Big Easy: Read more…
The CHARLOTTE OBSERVER races over news that Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart were each given a 6-race probation over an altercation at Daytona last Friday.
NASCAR handed down the ruling on Tuesday, after Kurt & Tony came to blows on the track and reportedly off it.
During a practice race, Stewart hit Busch from behind and sent him into the wall. Busch then returned the favor in pit row by hitting Stewart twice in the side. Both racers then kept cutting each other off as they made their way to the garage.
We’re always keeping an eye out for Montreal moochers pilfering purses.
• Ashley Judd really knows how to rev up the engines at Daytona:
• Heads up, Alfred Aboya! Or should that be - “Face Up”?
• Buffalo fans have seen Richard Zednik’s terrible throat slash before - when it happened to Sabres goalie Clint Malarchuk.
Tags: Ashley Judd
, Buffalo Sabres
, Charlie Weis
, Clemson Tigers
, Clint Malarchuk
, Dana Jacobson
, Dan Snyder
, Daytona 500
, Jim Fassel
, Jim Zorn
, Larry Brown
, North Carolina Tar Heels
, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
, Richard Zednik
, Ucla Bruins
, Washington Huskies
, Washington Redskins
David Newton of ESPN’S NASCAR blog dresses up news of Ashley Judd turning some heads at Daytona with her choice of pit row gear.
The actress appeared at qualifying on Sunday to show support for her husband, rookie NASCAR racer Dario Franchitti. But Ashley was showing little support of her own, as she pranced around the pits in a low-cut number adorned with tulips.
Judd’s choice of pit row apparel apparently goes against track clothing etiquette. Women are supposedly not allowed to wear dresses, tank tops or open-toed shoes, while guys can’t wear short pants or sandals. But NASCAR doesn’t seem to mind Ashley’s error.
• MR. IRRELEVANT celebrates a milestone as Comcast’s ‘Blog Show’ hits the double-digit mark:
• Forget Zito: Alyssa Milano is smitten with Russell Martin:
• OUR BOOK OF SCRAP offers a bracket with plenty of busts - The Hottest Wives/Girlfriends in Sports:
• Your vote counts! THE WIZARD OF ODDS has reached the finals of their Great Billboard Competition:
• THE HATER NATION reports Roger Clemens’ first MLB start will be facing the Sox - but against a whiter shade of pale.
• SPORTS COLUMN offers up some soccer players getting a leg-up on field-invading fans:
• Speaking of the pitch, SOCCERNISTA has a nice chat with manic-turned-MBA-man Alexi Lalas.
• Look out Bon Jovi & Elway: SPORTS COUCH POTATO sees history in the making, as long-time sideline sports reporter Lesley Visser is looking to snag an Arena Football team:
• BLOWN COVERAGE invites you to grab a brew or three and play the Atlanta Braves Drinking Game:
• BABES LOVE BASEBALL wonders why the threatening Elijah Dukes is still allowed to play.
• AOL FANHOUSE congratulates U of Kentucky fan fatale Ashley Judd for finally getting her college degree:
• THE FEED rats out who’s gone to visit Tank Johnson while he passes time in the pokey. Yes: Most Bears teammates, coaches and Jesse Jackson; No: Johnson’s fiancee and also-looking-to-make-a-break-for-it Lance Briggs.• As he plots his latest comeback for the thousandth time, SPORTS COLUMN tracks down Rickey Henderson snagging some balls…away from other kids in the stands.
• THE BATTLE OF CALIFORNIA informs us how dance contestant Willa Ford met Dallas Star star Mike Modano, and how she feels about her fiance’s current employer:
• Hoping to recover from the loss of arena football, JOE SPORTS FAN reveals NBC’s new sports savior: Tiki Barbaro.• Hot on the heels of NASCAR, THE SPORTS PICKLE bets on a winner at the Preakness with the “Horses of Tomorrow”.
• SPORTS GONE SOUTH (sponsored by Goody’s Headache Powder) adds up (sponsored by Texas Instruments) Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s (sponsored by Junior Mints) heavy price to pay (sponsored by First Federal Savings) for leaving his dad’s company (sponsored by Dad’s Root Beer).
• HOCKEY NATION breaks the ice with Ottawa’s Game 1 victory over Buffalo in the NHL Eastern Conference finals. And since a Canadian team is involved, here’s the required version francais.
• Speaking of our neighbours to the north, THE SMITTBLOG examines how much the Toronto Blue Jays ooze sweet Canadianess - just by their names alone.
• Why has Al Davis had so much trouble fielding a decent Raiders team? OUR BOOK OF SCRAP thinks the silver jumpsuited one is following a different tune.
Tags: Al Davis
, Ashley Judd
, Buffalo Sabres
, Dale Earnhardt Jr
, Mike Modano
, Ottawa Senators
, Rickey Henderson
, Tank Johnson
, Toronto Blue Jays
, Willa Ford