• Sexy soccer WAG Danielle Lloyd gets laid out in a bloody nightclub brawl.
• The real big racing news from this weekend: Danica Patrick’s new GoDaddy commercial, complete with a cop who keeps losing her clothes.
• Quite a memorable Memorial Day - Jose Canseco gets mauled in his MMA debut, while Mr. T mauls “Take Me Out To The Ballgame“.
• Mike Tyson’s 4-year-old daughter is in “extremely critical condition” after accidentally strangling herself on a treadmill cable.
• Maybe new Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor can clean up baseball’s current mess. She has taken on MLB before.
, Bus Demolition Derby
, Chicago Cubs
, Danica Patrick
, Danielle Lloyd
, Indianapolis 500
, Jenn Sterger
, Jose Canseco
, Mike Tyson
, Mr T
, Peter Zezel
, Sonia Sotomayor
, Vitor Meira
, Wrigley Field
Sad news out of Toronto today. Ex-NHL star Peter Zezel has been taken off of life support, as he will apparently succumb to a rare blood disorder that has plagued him for years. Zezel, only 44 years old, nearly died of hemolytic anemia in 2001 but recovered. This time, he’s not going to be so lucky.
Zezel scored 219 NHL goals, and was instrumental in helping the Flyers reach the Stanley Cup Finals in 1985 (as a 19-year-old) and 1987. He also played a key role for the Maple Leafs when they reached the conference finals in 1993 and 1994. Zezel famously retired from the NHL in 1999 when Canucks GM Brian Burke refused to trade him to an Eastern Conference team so he could be closer to his niece, who was dying of cancer. Burke shipped Zezel to Anaheim instead, prompting his retirement and setting off a ton of negative publicity toward Burke and the Canucks, who were not contenders at the time.
I’m sure all this is making Burke feel good about the way he treated Zezel.