Yesterday while speaking to Brandon Marcello of the JACKSON (MS) CLARION-LEDGER, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive expressed concern about the prospect that Mississippi State-affiliated sources may have leaked information to the media about alleged impropriety involving the recruitment of Cam Newton.
(”Disappointed” SEC Commissioner Mike Slive Does)
One of those reports, which the SEC has now verified as false, was a Joe Schad-authored ESPN story this week that cited, “two sources who recruit for Mississippi State.” Lede of that report:
Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, said in separate phone conversations that his college choice would be part of a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year.
Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program.
From Schad’s story, the implication was that the SEC had been sitting on possible serious NCAA violations for 11 months. But after Schad’s report was released, the SEC confirmed that, to this day, it has never been informed of such phone conversations.
SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said Wednesday evening that there was also no mention of the reported conversations in either of the school’s reports to the league.
In the aftermath of Schad’s erroneous, Mississippi State-sourced report this week, Slive was asked by the Clarion-Ledger’s Marcello “if the SEC could punish MSU if coaches and/or staff members were found to have leaked information to the media?”
SEC Commissioner Slive:
“That’s something we will have to determine once we really know who did what, what the facts are and … once all the established facts are in. When I mean established facts, I don’t mean when somebody (alleges) something. Once (the facts are) in, they’re in and we’ll be able to determine what’s appropriate.”
In other words, yes.