• Manny Ramirez gets suspended for 50 games after failing a drug test.
How will the baseball media “experts” react to his Hall Of Fame status?
• But here’s an even bigger story coming straight outta Dodgertown - Kim Kardashian threw out last night’s first pitch!
• Is Red Sox Nation trying to fill the NL All-Star ballots full of Washington Nationals so Boston will have World Series home advantage?
• We figured Jelena Dokic’s dad was crazy & abusive, but would he really take out an Australian ambassador with a rocket attack?
• Ex-Nebraska & Arizona State QB Sam Keller is taking the NCAA & EA Sports to court over his likeness being used in a video game.
Tags: Boston Red Sox
, Ea Sports
, Howard Mudd
, Indianapolis Colts
, Jelena Dokic
, Kim Kardashian
, Los Angeles Dodgers
, Manny Ramirez
, NCAA Postseason Bans
, Ron Artest
, Sam Keller
, Toledo Rockets
, Troy Neel
, Washington Nationals
I don’t know who has a more miserable Father’s Day: Jelena Dokic or the kids of former big leaguer Troy Neel. Sure, Dokic’s dad might have been overbearing, insane and quite possibly abusive, but at least he was there. Versus Neel’s two children, whose father has not only not been around, but has been hiding out living on a Polynesian island to avoid making more than $760,000 in child support payments.
But the SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS says that Neel has finally been caught, and will plead guilty today in a San Antonio courtroom. Neel played for three years for the Oakland A’s, and then moved on to make a nice career for himself in Japan. But as part of a settlement from a divorce in 1997, Neel was ordered to pay $5,000 a month in child support for his two children.
Crazy Damir Dokic is at it again. The father of tennis star Jelena Dokic has managed to lower the bar for tennis parents with embarrassing displays that would make Mary Pierce’s dad cringe. His past antics have included getting ejected from a tournament for calling an official a “Nazi”, and getting kicked out of the U.S. Open after pitching a fit about the price of a meal at the players’ cafe. Which makes is pretty clear why his daughter ditched him in 2002 and has rarely talked to him since.
As you can imagine, Damir has not taken this with grace and class, and he’s made Jelena’s new home of Australia a target. A few years ago, he threatened to kidnap his daughter and nuke Sydney, which is entertaining but kind of vague. Now the SYDNEY MORNING HERALD says he’s gotten more specific, threatening to launch a rocket attack on the Australian ambassador to Serbia, which has been taken seriously enough that he’s been arrested by Serbian police.
• The collapse of the Dallas Cowboys’ practice tent has caused scouting assistant Rich Behm (inset) to be paralyzed from the waist down.
• The family of b-ball recruit Renardo Sidney were expecting to be paid big bucks for steering their star son toward USC.
• Rehab or TV reunion? Which one do you think Dennis Rodman chose?
• The banishment of TCU student reporter Brian Smith from Mountain West TV was actually the work of Horned Frogs head coach Gary Patterson.
• The best thing about being named NBA MVP? Getting a brand new Kia! LeBron James must be thrilled.
Tags: Brian Smith
, Bronson Arroyo
, Dallas Cowboys
, Dennis Rodman
, Denver Broncos
, Eduardo Perez
, Gary Patterson
, Harry Kalas
, Jelena Dokic
, John Wall
, Lebron James
, NBA Mvp
, Renardo Sidney
, Rich Behm
, Rulon Davis
, Sandy Alomar Jr.
, Tcu Horned Frogs
, Ucla Bruins
, Usc Trojans
Jelena Dokic’s father has long been the poster boy for crazy sports parents. Banned from the Australian Open for alleging conspiracies, kicked out of the US Open for complaining about the cost of lunch, kicked out of Wimbledon for drunkenly smashing a broadcaster’s cell phone. A French Open tantrum, and he’ll have completed the grand slam. Now we learn that his behavior was much worse than anyone realized.
Jelena Dokic says that her father Damir physically abused her while he was her coach, and that she fled her family in 2002 to escape the violence. So, you know, next time you hear an athlete complain about 6 a.m. practices, tell them to shut the hell up.