Earlier this week, we reported how tennis commentator Michael Stich ruffled a few feathers when he, um, commented about how women players at Wimbledon are there to “sell sex” (well, not literally). Although it sounds sexist & unfair, it seems there’s a kernel of truth to his statement. And maybe not just a kernel, but a whole bag of Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn.
(Victoria Azarenka vs. Sorana Cirstea - low Wimbledon rankings, but high Wimbledon ratings)
Turns out that when selecting which match-ups will play at Wimbledon’s Centre Court, it’s not always the higher-seeded ladies that get to play in the main arena. Instead, it’s the lower-seeded cuties that are often the ones courted to take Centre stage.
• Shaq will be lacing ‘em up with LeBron on a more continual basis, as the Big Cactus becomes the newest member of the Cavaliers.
• Rodney Harrison is sick of the whole Brett Favre brouhaha, too.
• Boston sure loves their Rajon Rondo - well, everyone except Celtics GM Danny Ainge.
• An Oklahoma mom is sentenced to 5 years in prison for attacking a high school cheerleading coach with a stun gun.
• Your next tennis hottie to shed some clothing for a magazine shoot: Belarusian babe Victoria Azarenka.
Tags: Boston Celtics
, Brett Favre
, Cleveland Cavaliers
, Danny Ainge
, Ed Thomas
, Gisela Dulko
, Jon Stewart
, Lebron James
, Mark Becker
, Michael Jordan
, Philadelphia Phillies
, Rajon Rondo
, Rodney Harrison
, Shaquille Oneal
, Tyreke Evans
, Victoria Azarenka
, When Cheerleader Moms Attack
Apparently we have a new poster girl of tennis (why was I not informed sooner?) after Argentine Gisela Dulko upset Maria Sharapova in the second round of Wimbledon on Wednesday. But lovely Gisela took a back seat today to a ball girl who got swamped by the press after having played against Tommy Haas on Wednesday. Hmm, that’s odd.
Here are the action photos of Michael Llodra colliding with ball girl Erin Lorencin on Wednesday during his match with Haas. Llodra was injured and had to withdraw, so Haas decided to make the best of things and challenged random ball girls and boys to play against him at Court No. 1, including Chloe Chambers, who hit with him for about five minutes. Read more…