ESPN college football reporter Bruce Feldman reports via Twitter late Wednesday:
USC has been hit with a two-year post-season ban in addition to the loss of scholarships, among other penalties from the NCAA.
ESPN.com’s Shelly Smith added of the NCAA sanctions:
The USC football program will receive two-year postseason ban, a reduction in scholarships and a forfeiture of wins from at least the 2004 season when the NCAA releases it sanctions on Thursday.
A USC administration source also told me late Wednesday that the school will not hold a press conference Thursday to respond to forthcoming NCAA sanctions. Instead, expect press releases and video statements from USC administrators in the coming days.
Meanwhile, Bryan Fischer of USC’s Rivals football site USCFootball.com reported:
USC sources said they were surprised at the severity and length of penalties. USC’s president is on the East Coast, the Provost is in Europe and the SID is headed on vacation. (The response) will be a written statement tomorrow. USC will have 15 days to give the NCAA notice that they are appealing the decision.
Fischer later added that the SID’s break had been previously planned for 4 months.
Following the ESPN and Rivals reports, Gary Klein of the LOS ANGELES TIMES had more specifics on USC’s situation:
A two-year bowl ban and a loss of more than 20 football scholarships are among the sanctions that the NCAA has dealt USC, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.
Limited recruiting contacts, probation and forfeiture of victories are also among the penalties regarded as possibly in play.
USC sources, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about the situation publicly, said they were bracing for the worst. One said the school probably would utilize an appeal process.
Asked if the sanctions were appropriate, a source said, “It depends how you look at it. It is if you’re a UCLA fan.”