Earlier today I reported that top 2011 Oregon football recruit De’anthony Thomas had noted in a Wednesday entry on his personal Twitter account that he had a “meeting” with “NCAA people” earlier the same day.
JUST GOT. OUT OF A MEETING WIT THE NCAA PEOPLE MAN IT FELT LIKE I WAS TALKING TO THE POLICE
Following my report, Thomas sent out three subsequent Tweets denying that Oregon was the subject of his NCAA meeting.
NOTHIN GOING ON THERE INVESTIGATIN USC
Thomas later told Bryan Fischer of CBSSports.com that not only had he not met with NCAA investigators on Wednesday, but that the account where the Tweets appeared did not belong to him.
To verify Thomas’ claim about the alleged rogue Twitter account, I talked to two current full-time assistant college football coaches who were involved in recruiting Thomas.
Both told me the account belonged to Thomas.
A third full-time staffer at a major college football program said of Thomas’ Twitter account: “Yes it’s him. No clue why he’s denying it.”
In a Feb. 24 entry on his personal Facebook account, Thomas wrote of the Twitter account he now claims does not belong to him:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @THEBLACCSTER
As the NCAA never verifies ongoing or pending investigations, it would’ve been impossible to debunk Thomas’ claim that his meeting with “NCAA people” only included investigative questions about USC.
But with Thomas’ credibility now compromised, it’s hard to rule out anything as it pertained to the “NCAA meeting” mentioned earlier on his now-verified Twitter account.