Summer is just around the corner, and that can only mean one thing - a new series of ABC’s “The Superstars” will soon be upon us! The show that is to athletic endeavor what “Dancing With The Stars” is to … um, dancing, is set to kick off on June 23. (Although I admit I often get “The Superstars” confused with “Battle of the Network Stars”. Speaking of, when’s “BNS” gonna get it’s own 21st-century revival, huh?)
(Kent & Landry - kicking butt this summer on ABC!)
Anyway, Tom Hoffarth of FARTHER OFF THE WALL gives us the scoop on what agile athletes will compete in this season’s run - and who’ll be pared up with which “celebrity”. (Tom’s quotes, not mine - although I’d be inclined to agree with most of the upcoming examples.)
For instance, former L.A. Dodger/San Francisco Giant, Vin Scully hater & gay marriage opponent Jeff Kent will be on the program. So some folks may be enticed to tune in just to root against Jeff. But many others will watch probably because of Kent’s predetermined teammate: Ali Landry.
(More pics of Ali & others to pique your interest after the jump.)
Along with Jeff ‘n’ Ali, ex-NBAer Robert Horry will also be taking part in the primetime festivities - along with partner Estella Warren:
And Terrell Owens will temporarily shuffle off from Buffalo to attend the tapings - and compete with partner Joanna Krupa:
Oh, and if you really need to fill out the rest of your “Superstars” scorecard, here’s the other pairings:
• WNBA star Lisa Leslie and Dan Courtese (who I believe used to be in some Burger King commercials).
• Tennis star Jennifer Capriati and actor David Charvet. (Never heard of him.)
• Soccer star Brandi Chastain and Julio Iglesias Jr. (Maybe Dad will show up to cheer him on - and try to hook up with all the girls he loved before.)
• Olympic skiing star Bode Miller & “Extreme Makeover” star Paige Hemmis (I smell crossover promotion!)
• Freestyle skiing star Kristi Leskinen & “Dancing With The Stars” star Maksim Chmerkovskiy. (Same smell here!)
It should be a fun event. But I doubt it’ll be as monumental as Playboy’s “Playmate Playoffs“.