I’m still trying to find a screen grab, but you’ve no doubt seen it live; NBC’s shot of George W. Bush and Emmitt Smith seated next to each other and chatting it up in the owner’s box just before the start of tonight’s playoff game in Dallas.
The Twitter Machine is racing at this hour as speculation runs rampant as to what these legendary wordsmiths might have been discussing. The answer is shrouded in mystery. But one thing is certain: while we’re currently only at halftime of the NFC Wildcard struggle, we already have a loser: The English language.
I wonder if they were discussing this?
Actually, a Bush-Smith meeting isn’t unprecedented; both are on the board of the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee (the 2011 Super Bowl will be played in Arlington).
But to salute their semi-historic meeting today, I’ve assembled some of their greatest quotes. See if you can guess who said what?
- “We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease.”
- “As my offense get better, my defense is gonna be that much more better.”
- “You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.”
- “I am here to make an announcement that this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly out of Ronald Reagan Airport.”
- “They do a very good job flying around the football field and carousing the football carrier.”
- “I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.”
- “Eli Manning has been given the rice of passage.”
- “What happened tonight, the strength of the Patriots team got debacled.”
- “Oh, no, we’re not going to have any casualties.”
- “You cannot change the stripes of a leopard.”