We suppose it’s no surprise that gambling goof Charles Barkley is being sued over $400,000 he borrowed from a Vegas casino and never paid back.
(The Wynn Las Vegas certainly isn’t)
But as the LV sports blog MR. SUNSHINE reports, the stakes are now a little higher for Sir Charles, as the TNT analyst could be booking rooms for the big house if he’s tried & convicted of felony theft.
Clark County district attorney David Roger appeared on ESPN Radio 1100 to explain Barkley’s legal problems with Wynn Las Vegas & some possible solutions:
“The allegation is that he was given four $100,000 markers in October of last year. He’ll be given the opportunity to make restitution. If he doesn’t make restitution then he will face charges. Once an agreement is made, he could have up to six months to make those payments.
“If we charged him with theft, it would be four counts. That’s 1-10 years in Nevada state prison.”
Hmmm … that’s an awful long time to be away from Ernie & Kenny.
But it sounds like Chuck doesn’t want to take that gamble. The ASSOCIATED PRESS reports that Barkley owned up to his error on Thursday & says he wants to settle the debt:
“My mistake,” Barkley said in an interview at a pro-am golf tournament in Hoover, Ala. “I’m not broke, and I’m going to take care of it.”
Charles further added that the monetary mix-up didn’t have to come to his:
“All they had to do is call and say, ‘Hey, you owe us this money,’”
Strange, since Wynn alleges in their lawsuit that they made “repeated attempts” to get Barkley to pay them back.
Maybe it’s because they’re not in his Five.