Celtic’s Stepdad Arrested, Tased At Orlando Game

WESH-TV in Orlando reports that the stepfather of Boston Celtics guard Marquis Daniels was arrested and then tasered by local police while attending the Celtics-Magic Eastern Conference Finals game of the NBA playoffs Tuesday night.

Willie Lorenzo Buie Marquis Daniels Dad Mugshot

The police report of the incident identified Willie Lorenzo Buie, the stepfather of the 28-year-old Daniels, as being charged with “resisting arrest with violence“.

ORLANDO SENTINEL NBA reporter Tania Ganguli noted today that the Celtics have confirmed Buie as Daniels’ stepfather and that the incident took place.

In the official arrest account, Orlando police officers responded to a “disturbance” in a seating area behind one of the baskets inside Orlando’s Amway Arena at 10:55 p.m. When officers attempted to remove Buie from his seat, he allegedly said, “I’m not going, (expletive) you.

Beyond the charge against Buie, no other details in the police report suggest what caused the disturbance that led to Buie’s arrest. Though the report does give specifics about the alleged, repeated attempts made by police to subdue Buie, which led to him being tasered.

The ORLANDO SENTINEL reports of the official police account:

When several other officers arrived to help, Buie continued to resist them. He was finally escorted out of the arena and to an area near the security office, reports show.

Once there, officers forced Buie to the ground and tried to handcuff him, a report shows. Buie kept his hands under his body and refused to be handcuffed, officers said.

That’s when an officer pulled out his Taser, put it up against Buie’s back and shot electricity into him for five seconds, the report shows. After he was stunned, Buie put his hands behind his back and was handcuffed.

Tuesday was not Buie’s first arrest, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Records show Buie has a long criminal history, including a second-degree murder arrest out of Polk County. He served 11 years in prison and was released in 1989, according to the Department of Corrections.

The big key to this situation is what led police to arrest Buie in the first police. There figures to be witnesses to the “disturbance” that led to Buie’s subsequent, alleged violent altercation with peace officers. Until we know those details, it’s hard to have an opinion on the amount of force police used against Buie.

Though Buie’s extremely serious crime history certainly doesn’t help him in the court of public opinion.