NBC’s feeling mighty good about its golf ratings, thanks to Tiger Woods & the U.S. Open. But the Peacock’s promise of extending that success took a slight slice, as Brett Favre might be backing out of a celebrity tournament.
The CHICAGO TRIBUNE reports that the (still) retired (so far) Green Bay QB had agreed to take part in next month’s American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe. (Well, not actually in the lake, but near it.) But last Friday, Brett’s reps emailed NBC that Favre was “probably not coming” due to a “scheduling conflict.”
Tourney spokesman Phil Weidinger said that the reps didn’t elaborate on what exactly the conflict was. Wonder what it could be?
Maybe … Favre’s planning on coming back to the Pack?
Weidinger said Tuesday he didn’t know if Favre’s “conflict” could have anything to do with the possibility the three-time NFL MVP might end up returning next season.
Training camps will be in full swing by mid-July. And by then, Favre’s itch to get back onto Lambeau Field may develop into a full-blown rash.
On the other hand, Brett would be blowing the opportunity to tee it up with such sports stars as Michael Jordan, Mario Lemieux, Jerry Rice and Charles Barkley. And it’s not as if the golf outing would be a distraction to the gridiron, since current Cowboys QB Tony Romo also plans on attending.
Or maybe Brett’s realized that he just doesn’t like golf.
We personally encourage Favre to fly out to Tahoe for the tournament. He’s already given up his softball game, let’s hope he doesn’t skimp out on another charity sporting event.